© All Rights Reserved.
Explore Persian Beryani, from Isfahan’s Rich Culinary Heritage
Beryani is one of the most famous and delicious dishes of Isfahan, which is made using sheep meat and served with minced white liver (Lung) and fresh basil, be with us in The Cookery Magazine for more information.
The experience of traveling to Isfahan is not complete without tasting the pleasant taste of beryani, but you can also make this delicious Isfahan dish at home.
Maybe this point is interesting to you that during the Safavid era, it was impossible for anyone who visited Isfahan without written something about the original food of Isfahan, Beryani.
It is interesting to know that during the time of Shah Ismail Safavi, this dish, which is a form of an Indian dish, was cooked for the soldiers. Until today it is cooked and presented in a more evolved form.
This Beryani existed until the Qajar era and was of interest to the tourists of that time.
Even Jean Chardin, one of the most famous French travelers, described this food in his books. In the same area, Jean Chardin explains Brian Isfahan in two forms; Large pieces of meat roasted in the oven with a pan.
They have a grilling pan method where they roast a whole sheep, lamb, or goat with its water, which is excellent.
Tavernier, who traveled to Iran between 1632 and 1668, wrote in his travelogue:
Iranians roast meat only in the oven, and their oven is very different from ours.
Their oven consists of holes in the ground, with a width and length of two and a half feet and a depth of 5 to 6 feet, and is heated with a bit of firewood, a razor blade, and a goon.
The animal is hung from an iron skewer passed around its neck and inserted into the mouthpiece and oven opening, and a clay pot is placed under it.
A pot of rice is placed on the bottom of the oven, cooked with the oven’s heat and the fat that drips from it.
The animal is cooked here with the same heat. Without burning, the pans in which the kebabs are roasted are like special pans for sweets.
Beryan or Beryani?
One of the interesting points you should know is that the correct name of this dish is Beryan, and the place where they sell it is Beryani.
We still use the name Beryani.
Tips for making Beryani:
In Beryani, like all other foods, you should always try to use quality raw materials to achieve the original taste of this food.
As I said at the beginning of this text, instead of using minced meat for this dish, you can use fresh cold mutton to get the authentic taste of this Beryani.
Maybe you are among the people who like to eat Beryani with curd! You read that right, curd, which we call Kashk in Persian.
Eating curd with Beryani can give you a different feeling. Tail fat, which we call Donbeh in Persian, is also present in this dish.
Maybe you are one of the people who hates Tail fat. In the recipe of this dish, you can adjust the Tail fat according to your taste, and remember that the more this dish contains Tail fat, the better it tastes and feels
Next, this dish is served with Sangak and vegetables; if you like, you can also try this dish with curd.
Isfahan Beryani is tonic and hearty food. This authentic Isfahan dish is mentioned in old cooking books as a kind of broth (Abgoosht) and is not considered grilled food.
Ingredients for making Beryani:
|White liver (lung)
|2 large pieces
|Salt and black pepper
|As much as needed
|As much as needed
|Sliced pistachios, almonds and walnuts
|As much as needed
Recipes for making Beryani:
- First, peel one onion, wash it, and chop it finely. Fry it in a large pot. After the onions become light, add oil to them.
Add the tail fat and the meat of the hind shank to it and pour four glasses of water into it. Give it time until the meats are fully cooked, and a small amount of it remains in the pot. We remove the meat and tail fat from the container and separate the meat juice.
- We grind the meat and tail fat and then add infused saffron, dry mint, salt, and black pepper to it and mix. Now we grind all the ingredients together again.
- Put the white liver in a pot and pour two glasses of water. We wash the rest of the onions and finely chop them. We put the liver in the pot. Add salt, black pepper, and two spoons of oil to the liver and onion mixture.
- We reduce the heat under the pot and let it cook well. When the liver is cooked, and its juice evaporates, we roast some of it on the heat, Then turn off the pot. After the mixture of liver and onion cools down, grind it.
- We shape the minced meat and tail fat like a hamburger or cutlet, sprinkle cinnamon, and fry it in hot oil.
- We also fry the second side of the beryani. We put the fried beryani on the hot bread and poured some of the meat juice that we kept aside on it.
- Mix the minced mixture of white liver and onion with pistachio slices, almonds, and walnuts and pour it on top.
Your Beryani is ready to serve; Enjoy it.
Thank you again for being with us with an excellent, delicious, authentic Iranian recipe. Share your experiences with us, and if you have any tips to improve the food recipe, be sure to comment; thank you.
Frequently Asked Question:
Is this food served with yogurt?
It is not recommended to eat with yogurt.